6 DPO…

…and I’m doing okay! After last Monday, when I didn’t have work but my husband did and I spent all day obsessing over Google, I stopped that quickly the next day. In fact, I haven’t used Google for pregnancy-related things all week. Work keeps me busy. Now that the weekend is here again, I’ve got a few things on my mind. I figured I’d pick your brains about them.

1) This past week and the next one don’t have much going on with me in fertility-land. There’s really nothing new to tell. Yet, I love to blog, and I think about posting often. I’m just not sure what to say. This leads me to a question:

What do I really want from my blog?  Well, since the day I created it last summer, I really wanted it to be a place to house various information about getting pregnant and being pregnant. I wanted it to eventually become a place where people could click on a category to learn information to help themselves. I had always found all the information I wanted in a thousand different places, and I thought this would be helpful. Here’s the problem: I don’t know anything about pregnancy, obviously, and I am clearly not the expert on any topic enough to be the holder of all that information. Plus, as TTC turned out to be a giant project, I ended up needing to vent and went looking for support, which I found. It was very helpful, and I still want that from my blog. But I also want more from it. I just have no idea what exactly to do, and how to do it.

I mean, there are other areas of my life in which I have information to share – recipes for gluten-free foods, exercise tips, thyroid-issues, great books I’ve read, life with two rescue dogs, teacher stories. Everyone has other interests. Do you ever want to blog about those things? And if I started doing that here, wouldn’t that kind of change the tone of this whole blog – perhaps making other people less likely to read it? Have these thoughts crossed any of your minds?

I know a lot of you have these posts based on certain days of the week (Thankful Thursday, for example). I like those! What are the different topics you use?

A lot of people have very successful blogs. I do want to have a blog that really gets out there. I’m just not sure what I want IN my blog – I want to keep what I have, but sometimes I think I need to have more to talk about. I’d like to have more to talk about.

2) I have a small house. I just spent a little while checking out pinterest (my first time) and there are such beautiful and creative house projects that can be done. I especially like all the ways you can use old window frames, or pieces of wood. I love that old-fashioned look. Here’s the thing – my house is a small cape. It’s filled with stuff. I don’t have much wall space. There is no room for all of the cool things I saw on that site. And this weekend I’m in the mood for a DIY cool project for my house. But they all require a lot of space.

So, if you have a smaller home with little to no wall space, or extra closets, or large bathrooms, what little crafty/organizational project have you done that was totally worth it?

3) You know what all of this is – this is my mind trying to forget about the TWW. I’m bored, mentally. How many times can I look at my Fertility Friend chart, after all? 6 DPO. I plan to test a week from tomorrow. Yippee!

20 thoughts on “6 DPO…

1. Rebecca says:

I like your ideas. I think your blog should be about whatever is most important to you at the time. That is what you are most passionate about….and you will write the best about.

2. Jenna says:

First of all, thank goodness you stopped Googling! If I learned one thing from many 2WW’s, it is never to Google- drives me mad.
    As for expanding your blog to other topics, I think it’s a great idea. I’ve thought about adding such things to my blog on a new tab about “Passing the 2WW” or something. I mean, sure we’re all thinking about IF most of the time, but we need other ideas to take our minds OFF IF from time to time.
    Our house isn’t terribly large either and it’s pretty much maxed out. Last week hubs and I went antiquing. We found tons of things we liked, but knew there was no space. I got the idea that we need to add a small corner curio cabinet to our living room and we can have a sort of rotating display case there. It can be seasonal or whatever. That way we can continue to collect new antiques or do new DIY decorative projects without taking over.

Well that’s a great idea! I love the “seasonal” aspect of it..changing it out every few months. That’s really cool! I can’t say I’ve ever gone antiquing before, but after looking at pinterest, most of the things I liked would probably be found in an antique shop. I’ll look into it! Yeah, I’ve been considering how to categorize these non-IF thoughts, and if I have a ton of different ideas, I might just make other tabs for each topic. But I like your idea too! Thanks for the support! 🙂

3. Hope says:

I like reading blogs that are eclectic in their posts, with stuff about lots of aspects of life. I tend to follow mostly blogs where the overall theme is related to IF in some way, but I enjoy the general life posts on those blogs, too. And personally, I’d love to see some of your GF recipes!

Good luck staying sane through the TWW!

Thank you! This is very helpful. I really just assumed that most people would be looking at someone’s blog for one specific reason – the main topic. Which is fine, and I know that’s why we all have our blogs. But to know that people will still read it if I stray from that topic is a great thing! Thanks! I’ve got a gluten-free cereal recipe coming soon! 🙂

4. Psycholovista says:

I LOVE pinterest! I love creativity, DIY, interior decorating/decor stuff so pinterest is a good friend of mine. One doable project that I recently did was one that involved an old iron rake. I found it at goodwill, you saw off the handle, hang it on the wall with a ribbon (we screwed a hold through the top), and now it holds my necklaces, etc. I support you in writing whatever you want and to use the blog in whatever way is congruent with your goals, values, and needs!

Okay, you will definitely be the one to turn to for creative project ideas. I have NO creativity – it’s definitely a weakness of mine. I loveee the rake idea. That’s great! What else have you got up your sleeve? What are the last few projects you did? And thanks for the support! 🙂

5. Ess says:

Hey! I’m honestly interested in hearing what you have to say on any of the topics you mentioned. I’m happy to visit and hear about your non-IF thoughts. Personally I love cooking, home decor and fantastic books! I just rec’d some new art in the mail yesterday that I ordered from Etsy and we’re embarking on a small reno soon – perhaps I’ll blog about it!

Thank you so much! You should blog about the new art you got – I’d love to see pictures! It’s refreshing to know that we all have outside interests other than IF, and you definitely get to know someone better when they talk about other topics. Got any home decor ideas or good recipes? I need help in both areas…and you might as well share a good book! 🙂

6. K says:

I love hearing about people’s non-TTC related interests. I’ve been thinking more and more about blogging about mine if just to remind myself that there is more going on in my life than babies.
    If you want to purge and declutter, I highly recommend the book Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider (free for kindle and kindle apps righ now). It gave us the kick in the pants we needed this past summer to purge TONS of stuff we didn’t need to hold onto anymore.

Awesome! Yes – I need to purge and declutter. Bad. I will go give that book a look. I don’t think my husband is on board as much as I am, but I’ll do my best. Thank you for the suggestion! You should blog about your other interests, I’d be interested to read them!

7. Tami says:

1) I had a blog about my daily life, DIY projects (LOVE THEM!), cooking, etc. etc. I adore that blog but I had to put it on hold for a while because TTC was consuming my life. Since I had a lot of friends and family watching that blog, I didn’t feel comfortable talking about my TTC issues (still in the closet). So as an alternative, you could always start a 2nd blog. But combining them isn’t a bad idea either. I tend to compartmentalize, but that’s just me.

2) I live in a very small condo in Santa Monica, so I understand not having much space, wall or otherwise. But my favorite thing about home decor, is that it’s always revolving. You might decorate one way only to change things up completely 6 months, a year, or more later. Just because you decorate one way, doesn’t mean it’s set in concrete. Don’t be scared to evolve!

3) That elusive test date. I envy you. I get petrified to test and will usually hold off until AF comes. I swear, I have Clear-Blue-Easy-PTSD. 🙂

You rock. Seriously! I have considered starting a second blog, but I feel like it would be just a random assortment of thoughts. I guess I’ve figured that doing that is okay once in a while on this IF blog, but as a constant thing..I don’t know if/why anyone out there wants to constantly read my spewing of thoughts. But it’s still not a bad idea…If I don’t, and I keep it all on one blog, I’d have to find a way of super-organizing it. We’ll see. You’re right about the decorating…and of course the way it’s decorated now is basically how it’s been since we moved in 3 years ago. Need to switch things up! As for that test date – good for you! I get why you hold off. And it’s probably a good idea. I just don’t know if I can do it! Thanks for the great comments! 🙂

8. JustHeather says:

I agree with the many others: Write about anything and everything you want to say. I originally started my blog 4 years ago (?) but I never did much with it until I needed a place to vent about TTC about 2 years ago. From there, I just started writing whatever is on my mind. Sometimes it is mostly TTC, IVF and now pregnancy, but other times, I have a recipe I want to share, my horrible or fantastic day or just what ever is on my mind. I started the blog for me, which is what all of the things I write about pertain to. Do what makes you happy and figure it out as you go.
    Good luck with the 2WW! At least there is ICLW this week to keep you somewhat busy. Go for the Iron Commenter award!!

Thank you so much! So many people have commented that I should write about whatever is on my brain. And so far, for the most part, I’ve not done that. Now I have so many things to talk about I don’t know where to start! So thank you for the support. So ICLW is awesome! I don’t know about that Iron Commenter award though…

9. alleycatm says:

2ww + Google = crazy nuts girl!

I love it when there more of a person on the blog than just TTC, I mean we are getting to know one another and we are more than just TTC …

I love reading your posts!! ~~ I want to know more about your dogs and pics would also be nice 🙂

Seriously! And thank you for the support. A lot of people have been commenting that I should talk about whatever I’d like. And see, I never thought of it that way. I always thought that if you were reading IF blogs, it’s because you wanted to read about IF – not all those other little things. But now I’m excited to talk about the other things in my life! And my puppies are high on that list! Great suggestion 🙂