Simplifying/organizing/de-cluttering: Help!

You guys are amazing! I’m still kind of in awe about this whole blogging thing – once you have established readers, they actually want to hear what you have to say and will comment on it. I mean, I get it, because I feel the same way about all the blogs I follow, but it’s so cool when it’s turned back to you! I did think this would happen eventually, but only for the topic of IF. Now that I feel more “established”, it’s clear that you’re not all going to stray when I write about something more random! That’s awesome. I always thought a successful blog has one topic in mind and that’s it. And I do, I guess. I mean I’ve basically only ever written about fertility, with some health/fitness stuff thrown in. But I do have other things on my mind. And during the TWW, they come front and center.

I will try not to dump these random thoughts on you more than once a week-ish. Fertility still comes first right now. However, it’ll give me the opportunity to blog more, which I would like to do.

Today’s non-IF thought actually ties with yesterday’s post: Simplifying/organizing/de-cluttering (my house, my life, etc.)

Here’s the question: When you go into a cleaning/organizing frenzy, and you want to start throwing away everything in sight, as well as rearranging furniture and generally changing it all up – is your husband on board?

I ask this for a reason. Yesterday, after my post, I kind of went into organizing mode. I straightened up a cabinet that was desperately overdue, and then I went to the bedroom. I hate our bedroom. It’s not at all a “master” bedroom. It’s small, with plastic drawers from college holding the clothes that don’t fit in the dresser. Our closet is tiny, so my husband’s shoes are all over the floor. (I’ve stolen both shoe racks..) It’s not cozy at all. My dogs sleep on the bed and there’s always fur on it, even when we constantly vacuum. I could go on and on. I started talking about how displeased I was with all of this. Now, my husband is displeased as well. In fact, he’s not too keen on the house in general, though it was the right deal when we bought it.

In his eyes, he doesn’t like so many things about the house, it’s not worth bothering to fix anything. In my eyes, we might as well fix the small things in the house we don’t like, since we can’t change the big things.

I made a comment about his nightstand in the bedroom – dusty, and covered with his crap (wallet, money, phone, and a million other little things). I told him I’d take care of it and clean it off so it looked better. His response was that he didn’t want to clean it up. “Otherwise,” he said, “where would I put my stuff?” Ahh! I know that he has never appreciated a clean house like I do, and he also hates to clean (it’s like pulling teeth). So I ended up spending a few hours in the bedroom yesterday afternoon cleaning up all of my stuff, but I left his alone. What good is a bedroom that’s half-clean? How do I convince him that organizing and de-cluttering feels so good?

Don’t get me wrong – my husband is amazing at so many things. He’s incredibly bright and knows every answer on Jeopardy, he’s a great cook who basically cooks every night for us, he’s hysterically funny, and very supportive of all this IF stuff. I can talk about it until I’m blue in the face, and he doesn’t mind. One thing he’s not good at – cleaning. And organizing. We can’t all be good at everything, I guess. But still.

How do you get your significant other to clean/organize/de-clutter??

Oh, and one more little question out there for the blogging world: What is ICLW? And how does it work? I saw that it was this week…

Thanks for reading, everyone! 🙂

13 thoughts on “Simplifying/organizing/de-cluttering: Help!

1. Hope says:

ICLW stands for International Comment Leaving Week. Mel at Stirrup Queens hosts it every month. Here’s the link for this month: http://www.stirrup-queens.com/2011/12/icomleavwe-january-2012/

And about the whole tidy/messy spouse thing, I’m afraid I can’t shed much light on how to get a messy spouse to clean up, since I’m the messy one in my relationship. I thrive on a certain level of organized chaos. My DH is the one who always has his stuff organized and purges things on a regular basis! 🙂

Thanks for the info! That’s pretty cool. I’m giving it a try this week. And lucky you with the organized husband! So here, I’ll direct this question at you now. If you are the less organized one out of the two of you, what should your husband do/say to help you keep things nice and tidy? Or should he just take care of it on his own?

2. Curly Sue says:

If you figure out how to get your husband to de-clutter, please pass it on! The way you described your husband’s night stand (and your convo about cleaning it) sounds *just* like my DH!

Ha! I’m glad I’m not the only one! I’m thinking he will never change. Yesterday morning I persuaded him to go through his shoes all over the closet floor, to make room for the new shoe racks we bought. He wasn’t into it. So, I told I’d do the actual labor; he’d just have to point at them and say yes or no. He ate his breakfast as he did this..I got rid of some shoes, and now we have a clean closet. But seriously – I can’t do this all the time! Let me know if you find any tricks too!

3. Ess says:

Believe it or not my husband and I both pretty tidy. I’m pretty lucky when it comes to organisation as he and I are all about getting rid of things. However, when it comes to be handy we both kinda suck! Can’t have it all I guess! lol

Lucky lucky girl! I’m jealous. My husband is really handy, luckily. He recently put in a garbage disposal and a garage door opener. Thank goodness for that at least. Like you said, can’t have it all!

4. Katie says:

Ha! My husband is cleaning the toilet today for the first time in years, so I have absolutely no advice for you. Granted, neither one of is particularly neat, it’s just that he’s plain dirty sometimes.

Haha..that’s great! How’d you get him to scrub the toilet? And we are the same way – neither of us is really neat..though I’d like to be more so. But he can be dirty. Good to know I’m not alone out there!

5. Bear says:

My husband and I are both clutter bugs, but occasionally we get in the mood to clean. My problem is that my idea of organizing is getting rid of stuff; his idea of organizing is moving things from one place to another. He REFUSES to throw any of his stuff away.

YES! That’s us too! My husband will NOT throw anything away! A year ago we did a goodwill run, getting rid of so many of his clothes. There must have been at least 6 trash bags filled of his old clothes that we donated. It was crazy. So I’m with you. Sometimes I get in a toss-it mood and throw away everything..and then weeks later I can’t find something.

My Hubby leaves stuff all around the house. When it came to his wallet, keys, etc. on his night stand I told him how I couldn’t stand the piles anymore and I just cleaned and organized it. I got him one of those charging stations with the little compartments. When he came home I showed him how easy it was to stay organized and he liked it. Don’t get me wrong it still looks like a mess sometimes, but at least now it is contained. You could get a little square basket and have him put his wallet and stuff in there. I don’t know how your Hubby is, but I know with some men I know if you start them they get on board.

That basket idea is genius. I think you’re right – get him on board and he’s good to go. Unfortunately, my words alone won’t convince my husband of anything. I’d have to do it for him, just to prove it. Like with organizing his shoes..I did it for him yesterday, and proved my point that the closet looked so much better. Drives me crazy!