A witch to the rescue?

The weekend is finally here. It’s always slow in its arrival. I feel like, lately, I am just dying to get in my car and drive home just as fast as I can after school. That would be fine and all, if I were getting to school early enough in the morning to actually be productive. But no, with my morning exercises and just flat out sluggishness I roll into work only a few minutes before I actually have to be there. (You know what I’m doing at 7 am over my bowl of chex and almonds? Reading your blogs…) I can sum all of this up by simply saying – I don’t want to be at work. It’s a shame, too, because I am a good teacher, and I have always loved my job. It’s not the kids, it’s not the school, though I do feel the pressures that teachers are facing have tripled since I started only five years ago. But that’s not it, anyway. It’s just that teaching is no longer my number one priority, like it used to be. Now, I have more important things on my mind, and even when I’m able to stop thinking about babies, I just want to come home and be with N. He always makes me feel better.

Anyway, as I’ve alluded to in the past few posts, I have recovered from my failed cycle, though a bit of embarrassment still lingers. I just was so stupid! I vow never to make those mistakes again. Hope is okay, but guaranteeing something in your brain is a bad idea. I did that, and more. I broke all the rules. This time, I am going into it more relaxed (I think). You’ll be pleased to know that since this new cycle has started (today is CD 7) I have only taken my temperature twice! Screw it – I don’t need a 5 am reminder that my temps are yes, still low. Once ovulation comes roaring into the station I’ll start up with it again.

I’m still on the fence about IUI’s. I appreciate all of your comments and thoughts, and I still have some questions. My biggest question is this: if there isn’t a medical reason to have an IUI (which, I do have a medical reason but I’m still in denial about it), what are the percentages of success vs. a natural Clomid cycle? Does anyone know this info? Heaven forbid I let my heart lead me in a certain direction. I need to know the facts, the science! Because if it’s a no-brainer, that IUI’s are so much more likely to work than a natural Clomid cycle, I’m there. But I have a feeling it doesn’t much make a difference…

..if there isn’t a medical condition. Other than my anovulation, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, antibody hives and all that good stuff, I do still have slight swelling and burning with regards to sperm. Are those swimmers swimming, or are my insides closing up shop because my antibodies are so out of whack? I don’t know.

It’s not that I don’t want to do an IUI. I want to do whatever will let me take home a child. I will, eventually, try everything and anything. But I wasn’t mentally prepared to be offered that right now, after only 2 natural Clomid cycles. So at this point, with the information I’m currently armed with, we are going to let this cycle be another natural Clomid cycle (which I suppose isn’t natural at all, but you know what I mean). If it fails, perhaps then we will throw in the towel and head over to my RE’s office. But in the back of my mind, don’t doubt that I haven’t wondered if my failed cycles are because of this autoimmune anti-sperm campaign. What if that was it?

Now, in addition to all of this on my mind, my other health issues have been on the forefront of my brain. My hives are absolutely out of control. I have gone down to a low-sugar diet, especially after 3 pm. But twice this week, after having a very small cup of low-sugar ice cream (5 or 6 grams), I am still breaking out in hives on my cheeks, lips, throat, etc. Even my Greek yogurt that I always eat gave me hives, and I ate it at 2:00! My body is saying NO sugar, and of course I’m having a hard time listening. Sugar is in everything! Gluten-free products have really hit the grocery store aisles, which is helpful, but there’s nothing sugar-free! There’s low-sugar, for diabetics, but not sugar-free. Ugh.  And it’s been feeling like summer, too, and my local dairy farm ice cream (which is in walking distance from my house) is a torturous thought. I’m brand new to low-sugar…how will I live without fresh coconut chocolate chip ice cream? Peeps on Easter? This is what I’ve been fretting about.

However, a glimmer of hope has arrived. Has anyone ever been to a naturopathic doctor? My first thought is to somewhat roll my eyes – I’m fine with taking medicine if it solves a health problem, and the stereotypes of “hippee” doctors including lots of herbs and spices spinning around in a witch’s brew. I’m not going to stereotype, though. I need this woman’s help, like, badly. I will be seeing her on Thursday. My insurance covers her, which #1 is totally awesome, and #2 proves that this doctor must been good enough at what she does to be in my insurance’s network. I wouldn’t be paying the $250 for an initial visit otherwise. She specializes in everything – nutrition, allergies, acupuncture, etc. I’m going to just tell her everything, and hope she uses her magic spells to cure me (kidding). But seriously, if she could just..help me, please, help me, in controlling my antibodies and my autoimmune symptoms. If my hives could subside and I could actually enjoy wheat and sugar again, even in small doses, I would be most grateful. I could have many less things to worry about. Plus, my CVS bill would go down.

Anyway, between this new doctor (bringing my total number of doctors to 7) and my thoughts on IUI’s and this natural cycle, I can only hope something good can come out of all of this.

12 thoughts on “A witch to the rescue?

1. storkchaser says:

Something GREAT will come out of this! It has to. 🙂 I’ve been having a really hard time cutting refined sugar out and all sugars down, lmk what you find! Thanks for following and the well wishes. 🙂 I’m you sending lots of positive vibes for this cycle. Good luck!!!!!

2. Lindsay says:

Holy s***! Can I just say I could have written this top post myself and no one would have known the difference! My husband and I started trying in December ’10. I am also a teacher, this is my sixth year. My first few years my job was everything and I was damn good at (a lot of people still consider me to be) but I now walk in just minutes before the bell and walk out in the afternoon with all the other people rushing to pick up their kids. Only difference is I don’t have any! It’s not that I don’t still love my job, it just doesn’t mean the same to me anymoreI, like you said, it is no longer my number one priority!!

We are starting our first IUI w/ Gonal-f injections in just a few days. We are battling minor male fertility issues and I was diagnosed with high prolactin which causes my cycles to be super irregular anywhere from 30-56 days. I have since been put on medication. We underwent 2 cycles on Clomid. You asked about the difference between Clomid and IUI. From what my RE told me, if you do an IUI w/ Clomid your success rate is around 5-8%. If you do an IUI w/injections it is between 5-20% depending on the factors each couple are facing and/or the specific clinic. However, I don’t know the chances when you are just doing Clomid alone w/out IUI. Sorry this is so long-winded, I just couldn’t believe it when I read the beginning of your post, it was like I had written it.

I look forward to following you and cheering you on, good luck on your next Clomid cycle!!!

Thank you so much for your comment!! I think it’s probably normal for pregnancy related topics to be on our brains a lot, putting other things in our lives second, especially when we are having trouble TTC. Thanks for the info on Clomid – did you ovulate on Clomid at all? Or did you go right to IUI’s because Clomid wasn’t doing anything for you? I checked out your blog, by the way. You sound a lot like myself, and I love the pics of your puppy! Anyway, I signed up and look forward to following your journey! Good luck!

3. Cotton Bottom Mama says:

I’m so glad I found this post. I went through a lot of the same things as you a couple years ago: Hashimoto’s, gluten-free, sugar free, worked with a naturopath. My ND was awesome, and I was pregnant 5 months after starting to work with her. This cookbook was my saving grace: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ODHO90/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=cotbotmam-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003ODHO90
    Natural treatments can definitely work, so it is worth a try! I also gave up caffeine and no more than a glass or two of wine/week. Look at your reactions to wheat and sugar as your body telling you what it needs to be healthy–those things are destructive to most people, but most people don’t get the outward signs that something is wrong. I hope the ND is able to help you. Good luck!

Wow – thank you so much for this information. I am so glad that there are others out there who have been through this hives/sugar/autoimmune thing, and have tips on how to deal effectively! I’m glad your ND worked for you, I have high hopes! I checked out the link – I really appreciate it. I think I’m going to buy it! What do you do to keep your TSH level low? I checked out your blog as well, and even though I’m not pregnant yet, we have every intention of “going green” when there finally is a baby. I’m especially interested in your posts about cloth diapers! Anyway, I feel like I’m going to have more questions for you in the future, so I signed up to follow your story! Thank you again!

4. TheStorkWhisperer says:

Good luck with your next cycle. IUI’s plus medicines do up your chances, but not greatly. Same with IUI’s plus injectables. IVF is the only thing that increases your chances greatly, from what I have heard. Of course every couple is different. You probably still have a good chance of conceiving without any type of medical intervention just as well.

5. thefamilyvan says:

I have to agree with Lindsay up there–I heard so much of myself in this post. I’m in my 5th year of teaching, as well, and this year has been markedly different from the past. For the first time, I’m seeing teaching as my JOB, and what happens outside of school (i.e., IF, appointments, medications, IUIs…) as real life. The two areas seem so separate this year, and I don’t feel as connected to what I’m doing.

Anyway, I wanted to take the time to thank you for being the first person to comment on my blog. I’m sure I speak for many when I say that I appreciate your Chex and almonds time! Before your comment, I had intended my blog to be private (who on earth would have found it, anyway?). As a result of the contact you made, I feel so much less alone in this situation. It’s so odd to me that a stranger could have such an impact on my life, and I’m so thankful that this is the case.

I am wishing only good things for you. Thank you for finding me and for reaching out. You have made a huge difference in my life!

That is so very nice of you to say! That made my day! I’m glad we have the teaching thoughts in common..hopefully it will get better. And see, aren’t you glad you made your blog public? I agree, when I started mine back in July I thought, who the hell cares? Who wants to read this? And slowly but surely, people have, and I find myself telling my husband about you guys, and I use what you know to help me. It’s a nice little system. So, again, thank you so much. Nicest comment I’ve ever gotten – totally makes blogging worth it!

If your Hubby doesn’t have IF issues I don’t think IUI ups your chances a ton. I have been told by several Drs and patients though that sometimes clomid can cause things like thicker CM which makes it more difficult for the sperm to get through. With IUI you bypass that completely.
    I hope this new Dr can help you. I know how difficult diet restrictions are. My Hubby has to eat gluten free. Being able to enjoy it every once in a while is a big deal. Since his body has healed after being off for so long and his body functioning so much better getting real sleep by using a CPAP machine he can eat some now with no side effects.
    I am glad you are taking a bit of a break from the temps. I found I was a lot more relaxed when I stopped.

Thank you! Yeah, I doubt the chances increase all that much either, which is why I’m still on the fence. I can understand Hubby’s gluten-free life. It’s very hard for both of you!