Good Health Secrets

Reason #5,782 for why I love blogging – A single post can lead to a great discussion!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your comments. I am so glad that you feel able to share your opinions, both in agreement with and against my own, in a way that allows everyone to really talk things out. Of course, in addition, I appreciate and need your comments on these matters, because I have no idea what the hell I’m talking about, and you guys do.

Yesterday (and in today’s reflection) I learned something about myself that I didn’t previously know: I’m not ready, mentally, for a naturopathic doctor such as the one I met with yesterday. I’m not ready for that kind of treatment.  I did gather from some of you that she might not have appropriately reflected a true naturopathic doctor in some of the things she said, but regardless, that specific doctor I met yesterday is clearly not for me. I realized that I’m the type of person who needs answers. And not just any answers – scientifically-explained answers. Yesterday, I wanted to know – how does that machine work? How does my arm going up or down give her a yes or no answer? How do those pellets she wanted me to take work? How could a back massage possibly “cure” my food intolerances? I needed answers, and I didn’t get them, and that doesn’t sit right with me.

I am not saying nothing she did or would do with me would work. For all I know, everything she wants to do could work. Maybe I could be cured. But unfortunately, I just don’t have it in me to pay that kind of money not having any clue how exactly it works. What’s the science behind it? Is it safe with everything else I’m already putting into my system? How does that treatment fit with the rest of the doctors I see? I was not given an explanation, and that combined with a little lack of professionalism in my opinion (like arguing with her son about money in the middle of my appointment) totally turned me off.

A couple of you (and a few people at work I spoke with) told me that you do kind of have to already believe a bit in it, to trust that it’s going to help, before starting it. The only thing I can relate this to is being hypnotized. You have to be willing to be hypnotized, you have to believe you can be hypnotized, in order for it to actually work.  You can imagine that I’m the least likely person on this planet for hypnosis to work, because I don’t buy it. And yes, I have been in situations where people have been hypnotized, and I never even came close. I’m not saying it’s correct or incorrect, and I’m not placing judgement, but hypnosis just…doesn’t work on me. I don’t want it to work on me.

Now, all that said, I am not negating all ND’s everywhere. On the contrary – it sounds like some of you have been helped drastically by an ND, and I only wish mine presented herself and her information differently, to more allow me to buy into what she was saying. I want to be helped. I need help with my autoimmune and fertility issues. And perhaps, someday I will try another ND. But this particular doctor is not for me.

Finally, I want to talk about the diet aspect. As much as I hate to say this, I completely believe my ND is right about the anti-inflammatory diet. I think our whole diet conversation was totally legitimate. I had a feeling I needed diet changes, even after going gluten-free and mostly sugar-free. I still think I need diet changes, to help with my hives. I am going to keep my notes on this diet I was given yesterday, and attempt to try it, one piece at a time. But I can’t go cold turkey. I can’t live on just veggies and beans. Not yet. But I do want to continue whittling away the amount of sugar I eat (even though it’s small), and any other weird things I might be consuming. The hives just aren’t worth it.

Today, I actually got a call from her secretary (at her main office), because even though my doctor took my insurance card, she never actually made a copy of it, so I needed to fax it over. While on the phone, I made a decision and told her to hold off on ordering me those pellets, and that I would call her for the next appointment as opposed to making one right then and there. I’m not ready, right now, for this doctor to be in such control of my health.

Then, I went and called my allergist. He’s the guy that was the very first person to figure out I had a thyroid problem, that my antibody count was off the charts, and that my hives were related to this antibody count. My hives meds (Zantac plus Claritin, twice a day) were running low, and besides, I wanted him to know what was happening with my out of control hives. He spoke with me over the phone, told me to switch to Zantac plus Zyrtec (stronger), and keep a food journal. We are going to meet in a few weeks and figure out exactly which foods, and which parts of the foods, are giving me problems. I realized – I should’ve called him in the first place. Maybe he’s been my answer all along.

And because of that call, I feel better today. Yesterday, I was completely overwhelmed. Listening to what my ND was telling me I needed to do was just too much. I don’t know if she’s right – maybe she is, but I couldn’t handle it all. Now, all I need to do for the next two weeks is simply keep a detailed food journal. Hopefully the switch to Zyrtec will help a bit as well. This I can handle.

That’s where I stand. I really am bummed out about the ND – I wanted so badly for her to enlighten me in a way that would be in line with everything else I’m receiving for treatment, and I wanted a miracle. You guys have really loved your ND’s, and I’m definitely disappointed. But I’m going to keep the diet changes in my mind, and just see what happens.

As for my RE – I have decided I’m not going to pick up the phone and rip him a new one for not telling me I show signs of PCOS. Not yet, anyway. #1 – It didn’t actually say that I had PCOS directly, so maybe that was just one thing he was considering. I don’t actually think I have it – when he looked at my ovaries he said they looked just fine, with the exception of all the little eggs hanging out in there after not being released for months on end. #2 – I am going in for an IUI, hopefully soon. I can ask about it then. I’m so glad, now, that we’ve decided to go with the IUI. It is a little strange to think I might get pregnant from a way other than having sex, but who cares? I just want a baby. Now, here’s hoping the Clomid actually gets me to ovulate…

Here’s my question for the day: If you have been helped by an ND, or any doctor for that matter, what was the #1 idea, or product, or dietary change, or whatever, that made the most difference for your health? What is your good health secret?

If something has worked for you, chances are, it may work for me!

12 thoughts on “Good Health Secrets

1. Hope says:

For me, the biggest thing has been understanding that, since I have insulin resistance, the healthy, vegetarian diet I was brought up on cause blood sugar swings, and that my body functions better on a high protein, low glycemic index diet, with my primary protein source being animal protein (mostly poultry at this point). It has been a challenging transition, but worth it, in my opinion.

I hope your allergist is able to help you tailor your diet to fit your individual needs. It think that it is far better to be on the correct diet for you than to try to follow some diet that is based on abstract ideals.

This diet you are talking about makes complete sense to me! And I find it interesting, too, because I always attribute vegetarian eating to being very healthy – and it sounds like it is, but it was causing blood sugar swings for you. I have crazy blood sugar swings as well. How did you eventually find out for sure that you were insulin resistant?

2. Hope says:

My doctor made an empirical diagnosis based on my polycysitc ovaries (and other symptoms of mild PCOS) and my family history of type II diabetes. When a different doctor checked my insulin levels they were normal, but at that point I was on metformin, and they were only checking the levels to be sure that my dosage was correct.

3. Curly Sue says:

PCOS doesn’t always result in poly-cystic ovaries (oddly enough). Its sort of a continuum of issues and if you have several of the symptoms (but you don’t have to have all the symptoms), you might have PCOS. I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. There is a PCOS blood panel he can order for you that will give a much clearer picture as to how many of the symptoms you display (mostly hormonal imbalances).

Thank you for this information! I plan on asking my Dr. when I go in there. I would love to have that blood panel done. I just can’t believe they didn’t tell me this before!

4. Izzy says:

Diet and acupuncture are what seemed to get my body cycling again after months of nothing. Check out the food tab on my blog and send me your email address or email me I have it up on my blog. I can send you a cook book I used in the beginning that helped a lot.!

I’m so glad to hear where you’re at, you’ll know what’s right for you and when. Finding the right people is honestly the most important thing. I have so much faith in my acupuncturist and he has been my rock through this but I’ve heard others have such different experiences. I think your allergist sounds like someone you can really trust. Food journaling is a great start, you’re going to get this!!!

Thank you!! I checked out your food tab, it sounds like you’re doing very well with no gluten or dairy! I am struggling, and I haven’t even decided whether or not to give up dairy, but I probably should. I know I can’t have too much of it without stomach problems, but a piece of cheese and a yogurt a day don’t seem to be a problem. It’s so hard to tell. What’s the cookbook you used in the beginning called? And thank you for the support 🙂

• Izzy says:

The Fertile Kitchen cookbook http://www.amazon.com/The-Fertile-Kitchen-Cookbook-Optimizing/dp/0578034808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333488243&sr=8-1

It was incredibly hard in the beginning. I think the theory is to basically cut out anything that is processed in any way. Generally dairy is pasturized ripping the important enzymes from it that helps our body digest it. If you do dairy, consider raw dairy (it’s kind of hard to find). If you think you want to try the diet changes, do it slowly by dwindling the things you hate to lose. Try to go a diet that mostly contains naturally occuring foods (not preocessed). I think most people have the best luck once they’ve cut out everything processed and then you can slowly reintroduce certain foods and watch carefully how your body reacts. If you can completely eliminate your hive breakouts and the reintroduction of something causes a flare up it’ll be a huge eye opener I’m sure. I only hope it can be that simple. Let me know if you ever need anything, the journey to getting our bodies ready for a baby was a painful one and I hope I can be of some use!

5. Sunny says:

Wowee wow!! I just caught your last two entries. Yes, we certainly seem to be moving along the same path with the natural health stuff. As someone with pretty severe PCOS, I know how overwhelming all of the info on PCOS can be, simply because each woman is different. I am slightly insulin resistant, have normal testosterone levels, and very bad irregular/non-existent cycles and cysts on my ovaries, but I am not overweight, and I don’t have elevated estrogen levels (which are also common of PCOS sufferers). I know how hard it is to give up all of the foods you love…TRUST me, I do! I agree with your allergy doc about keeping a food journal and tracking your symptoms, but the only thing tricky about that there is a possibility that you are not completely detoxing your body from the irritants by continuing to eat them in small amounts. The 28 day elimination diet (aka: HELL) will allow your body to completely neutralize from the irritants. THEN, you slowly reintroduce foods back into your body, and the reaction to specific foods will be very clear (if there is one). The one thing I will say about recurring yeast infections is that the yeast is actually feeding off of the sugars in your body, and making you crave them. This is why withdrawl from them is so painful. If you can get through one full week, you will be in for a much easier time.

One last recommendation: I was referred to a network of practicing naturopaths by a friend of mine who found an amazing nutritionist through this network. She’s in Florida, I’m in California, but this website will locate certified doctors/ND’s in any state. http://www.functionalmedicine.org/

I’m rooting for you!!

Thank you so much! Whenever I think about this crazy diet I think of you first! I have a feeling you are right – I need to eliminate everything for a while, and go from there, but so far I’ve been unable to make the full commitment. It’s frustrating. I will check out that website!