An IUI is on the horizon!

I’ll keep this one short and sweet, but I wanted to share:

I have an egg!

It’s CD 20, no smiley face yet, and I was told to call this morning to get a blood test. I called first thing, of course, and my head nurse got me in for an ultrasound as well. Yippee! I haven’t had an ultrasound since my very first meeting with my RE back in November.

Anyway, the girl who gave me my ultrasound was someone I had never seen. I think she belonged to another doctor in the clinic. But she was awesome. Young and helpful. We checked out my ovaries, and I have two follicles growing on lefty (I ovulated from righty last time, so this makes sense). They measure 16 mm and 10 mm. Yay! I was sure that I wasn’t ovulating this cycle at all, even though I’ve doubled my Clomid dosage. She expects 16 mm to be ready around Sunday, as they tend to grow 2 mm a day, and they want me at 20. So, on Easter, most likely, I’ll get my first smiley face, and go in Monday for my first IUI. Or, I’ll get my smiley tomorrow (doubtful, though) and go in for the IUI on Easter. I’d actually rather have it happen Sunday so I don’t have to take a day off Monday. But either way, I’m happy to be given a third chance since TTC to possibly make a baby. I’ve got half of this baby growing, N’s got his half, we just need them to connect!

Here’s a question for you all. If you have two follicles growing, and one is ready and the other one needs a few more days, what happens to the smaller one when you have the IUI done? Does it keep growing even after the IUI, and is released just a few days later?

I asked this doctor about PCOS, and she was so helpful. She confirmed my suspicions – yes, I have PCOS. Why my RE failed to mention that to me, I’m not sure. But I have it. She said (as many of you did) that you don’t have to have cysts on your ovaries to have PCOS. And I don’t have any cysts. You do, however, have to fit within 2 out of these 3 criteria:

1) You don’t ovulate, or if you do, it’s very irregular. (Check.)

2) Your ovaries look like PCOS ovaries, meaning they are full of follicles. Today’s ultrasound proved my ovaries are full of tiny follicles. (Check.)

3) You have an excess of hair, like, on your face, meaning too much testosterone. I have tested high for testosterone, only to have it go back to normal a few months later. It seems like it goes back and forth. Either way, only about a week ago I used my little razor to deal with my entire upper lip..plus a dark hair or two on my chin. (Check.)

Because of these things, I have PCOS. Okay, and combine that with my autoimmune problems, insulin-resistance, hives, thyroid antibodies…etc, and I really need to take care of my health.

Hence, I’m starting the Paleo diet. Granted, it’s in small chunks, but it’s happening. All the diets I’ve sworn to follow over the years don’t mean anything compared to this one, because I’m not doing it to lose weight. I’m doing it so my hives go away, and my TSH level goes back down. N is in with me, and we’re starting immediately, but gradually, like I said. We don’t want to throw away everything in our house, so I’m eating all the GF breads and whatnot that I have, but slowly. We also have our two night vacation and a wedding coming up as well. It’ll really take place after those things. But until then, I eat mostly meat and veggies, with some nuts thrown in and occasional cheats. So far, I’m seeing a little bit of progress, but it’s only just begun. I plan to chart my progress along those lines and throw those posts into the “Paleo Diet” category. I’ll post recipes too, when I find some good ones. We are trying many out next week. I’ll keep you posted.

(Oh, I wanted to tell you about my dream last night. I dreamed someone brought ice cream that I could eat. It was called “extra sensitive ice cream”, and I filled my bowl to the brim. The whole table was covered in these delicious flavors, and it was rich and heavenly. I was halfway through bowl #1 when I contemplated my next flavor..and then I woke up. So sad. Ice cream is my favorite.)

This is happening! I’ve got two growing little eggs and a new, super-healthy diet. Let’s hope things are on the upswing.

16 thoughts on “An IUI is on the horizon!

1. Ess says:

Sounds to me like things are definitely on the upswing for you and N! Have a great weekend and keep us posted. Love the ‘extra sensitive ice cream dream.’

2. Izzy says:

I am so proud of you for taking on the Paleo diet. I’ve heard so many good things about it but never got up the courage to do it myself. I have a feeling its going to be the trick for you, I’m so excited to see how your body responds over the next few months. I bet you’re going to start feeling so much better and hopefully get preggers too 🙂

My chiropractor (and biggest paleo fan I know) says to stick to a 80-20 plan. Its impossible to be paleo all of the time since eating out and events can get tricky but try to do it 80% of the time. He’s also the healthiest guy I know! Good luck girl, hope this IUI is it and you get a take home baby out of it!!

Thank you so much for your kind comments! We will see what happens with going Paleo – I haven’t officially begun yet but I’m excited to see if it helps me get pregnant! If your chiropractor ever has any other words of advice regarding Paleo, please let me know! The 80-20 idea is wonderful, and I agree. Of course, I still can’t have sugar or gluten due to hives and stomach problems, but I could splurge on rice! So thank you again 🙂

3. Jenn says:

Yay for two follicles!! I’m not positive, but I think the smaller one will just disappear after the larger one ovulates. I had 4 follicles, but me RE said I only ovulated 2 eggs, so I assume this means that the other two just shriveled up….that’s my best educated guess 🙂

4. Curly Sue says:

The smaller follicle *may* pop a few days later than the larger one, or it may shrivel up and go away. Totally depends on probably a zillion factors. That’s why its a good idea to have sex after the IUI for a few days, in case you can catch a late egg coming to the party. Did your doc or the nurse talk about metformin for your insuline resistance and PCOS?

Right – good point! We definitely plan to have sex after the IUI. My doctor did not talk about metformin, and I’m a little irritated about it. Once, a while ago, my thyroid doctor mentioned it, but that was it. When I go in for the IUI in a few days I will absolutely be mentioning it. Thank you for reminding me of this!!

5. ozifrog says:

I second the comment on metformin for your pcos – my doc still has me on it even in pregnancy due to recent research showing its safe and also lowering miscarriage rates that can happen with untreated pcos/ insulin issues. Also there’s some work around depression linked in with these two…what a happy trio, so just keep an eye on it.

Excellent you’ve found a diet that may work for you. Take it easy after the IUI, I’ve found really just hanging out and not doing too much helped us in ivf, and book yourself up with plenty of fun distractions in the two week wait .

Thank you so very much. When you guys give me advice like this it’s extremely helpful, because I might not have thought of it myself! Metformin is not on the table right now, but when I go in for the IUI I will be mentioning it right away. Thank you!!