How painful is an HSG?

I’ve got just enough time for a quick question for my blogging buddies out there:

On a scale from 1-10, 10 being “I’m going to faint here on the table because the pain is so bad” and 1 being “I felt basically nothing at all”:

How painful is an HSG?

I might be having one as soon as Wednesday, or possibly a few weeks later.

I’ll be back tomorrow for a clearer explanation of today’s RE appointment, but I will say that injectables will be starting up soon.

Thanks guys!

12 thoughts on “How painful is an HSG?

1. Brave IVF Girl says:

Varies a lot by person. Mine wasn’t painful during the procedure (sorta like an extended pap smear in unpleasantness, so a 3?) but I had a lot of bad cramping for a few hours afterwards (and I was in a car for a 4 hour drive, which didn’t help). Definitely take pain medication beforehand.

2. ozifrog says:

I think it’s the one I had. PAINFUL for me, though others i know in person had no pain at all. But quick. Check out my post ‘not so cosy hycosy’ in sept 2011 for details. It’s nothing to be scared of really, but I did nearly pass out & wished I’d taken someone to drive me home. Afterwards I was tired but fine.

3. Lindsay says:

For me it was all the anticipation. The actual procedure only lasted a few minutes and aside from a few cramps during the procedure I was fine for the rest of the day. I didn’t go to work and relaxed on the couch but it was more from exhaustion over nerves!! Good luck, you’ll be fine. I think they recommend 800 mg ibuprofen?? Which I took about an hour before.

4. Kate says:

I had no pain at all, and only a bit of slight cramping after. But I opted for a Percocet 30 min before the procedure, rather than just strong ibuprofen (I have a low pain tolerance). Of course, I had my husband drive me there and back, so I was basically out cold in the car on the way home. For me it was the saline one that hurt like crap… An 8 or 9… but I had nothing but ibuprofen before that one. My advice? Take something strong and get a ride. Best of luck with the HSG and starting injectables!

5. pegara says:

For me it was an 11! Everything started going black on the table and I started shaking uncontrollably. The nurse had me
    Squeezing her hand to make sure I wasn’t passing out. I had to be helped off the table and
    The nurse had to help me clean up in the bathroom because I was bleeding so badly and couldn’t stand without help. My husband had to come in to the department to get me because they were worried that I would collapse in the hallway. Long story short, the worst pain I ever had and the cramping that followed was horrific! I hope that they never have to do another one!

I’m not trying to scare you. I wish someone would have been honest with me before I had mine. Some people dont have bad experiences, unfortunately I did. I hope you don’t! Good luck!

6. robin says:

I hear it’s more painful if they find a blocked tube. Mine was a 2-3. Mostly I was so scared in advance of it being painful. Inserting the catheter was more painful than the procedure, and then I had cramping and leaking the rest of the day (not so bad, like my normal period cramping). I took two max strength ibuprofens beforehand and didn’t need any more after.

Getting on the table with the giant moon boots freaked me out SO MUCH, though. I felt like I had been abducted into an alien spacecraft for terrible experimentation!

7. Jenn says:

It really all just depends on what you’ve got going on in there. From what I understand it’s more painful if your tubes are blocked. The whole procedure only took about 3 minutes and just kind of felt like a 3 minute long mild menstrual cramp. It hurt the most when the Dr. pulled the catheter out and I had a pretty intense uterine cramp when my uterus expelled the dye. But really, it sounds much worse than it is. It certainly isn’t a pleasant experience, but well worth it if it can help you find some answers. I wrote about my HSG here http://futurefords.wordpress.com/2012/02/04/hsg-test/ of you want to read it and I also found this helpful before I had mine http://www.stirrup-queens.com/2006/07/hsg-hysterosalpingogram/ . However, I would skip reading the comments-they scared me more and built my anticipation in a negative way only to find that it wasn’t nearly as bad as I had built it up to be in my head. Good luck!!!

8. Daryl says:

I also took 800 mg ibuprofen beforehand, and it wasn’t so bad. The doc had a hard time placing the catheter, but it wasn’t painful, just uncomfortable. When he injected the dye was when I had one long, sustained, pretty intense cramp, but even that was only about a 5. I didn’t have any cramping after that and could have gone back to work, even though I’d taken the afternoon off, just in case. Good luck!

9. Izzy says:

For me it was an 8.5-9. It was horrible, don’t ignore peoples suggestions to take pain killers before hand! I’ve heard plenty of women say their’s didn’t hurt but mine was awful and I’m so sorry. Just know that you’ll get good information from it and its over quickly.

10. TheStorkWhisperer says:

Keep in mind, some have little to no pain. Others have extreme pain. I’m not sure if pain is related to tubes being blocked or not. You just won’t know until you go through with it. Just bring someone with you to wait and pop some major pain pills if you have them. On the positive side, the whole procedure does not last long.

It depends on the person. I have heard of people having a really easy time of it. I, on the other hand had a whole bunch of issues. My cervix was in the wrong position so they had to put a clamp on it and move it which felt like they were gonna pull it out of me. Then my uterus had a reaction to the dye and started to contract, pushing all the clamps and tubes out of me. I was told it is very rare for this to happen (lucky me) so don’t worry. I still say it was only a 6 or 7 out of 10. I wasn’t told this, but others have been told to take some tylenol before you go and it will help. I hope you have a smooth, relatively pain free one.