Blehhh

I just accidentally typed “morning suckness” in my tags, which is about right.

Up until last night, I have felt generally “yuck-tacular” with occasional bouts of starvation. Nothing major, and I was like, “Oh yeah, this is easy!” And then last night, just lying on the couch, I was suddenly two seconds from throwing up. It was the worst I had felt yet, and all night I tossed and turned. Woke up early this morning with other stomach issues (anything from nerves to actual sickness causes that one) and really couldn’t fall back asleep.

I dragged myself to school today, because there’s only a few days until vacation. But I am non-stop nauseous, at I’d say a moderate level. No food sounds appealing whatsoever, but I push food because I know I’m supposed to. I’ve tolerated oranges, some soup, dried cereal and a banana today. But I’m not even close to hungry or thirsty. I feel like I have a legit stomach bug on the way, and the only reason I know it’s not an illness is because I wouldn’t have been able to keep all that food down. I am noticing that evening and night are the worst. So far, mornings aren’t bad.

I don’t mean to sound like I’m complaining because I’m not trying to, but I am desperately looking for suggestions to make it through this time period. I know it won’t all go away, but I don’t even feel functional, and I’m only 5 and a half weeks! Here is what I have tried so far (and continue to use)

– sea bands (just bought these an hour ago and they’ve been on for 15 minutes. I don’t know if I have them in the right spot exactly and I can’t tell if they are helping, though it isn’t any worse.) How do you know they are in the right spot?

– hard peppermint candies

– going to sleep (that’s a big fail)

– eating only things that sound good, which right now is nothing.

– peppermint tea

And that’s all I’ve got! So, are there any other things you guys have tried and had success with? As we speak my stomach is growling. Underneath all the nausea I think I’m actually hungry.

By the way, my beta #3 on Monday, which was 23dpo, was 3,026. And my doctor pushed my ultrasound up two weeks, to this Friday. He wanted to check me out before he went on vacation. So that will be exciting, if I can manage not to throw up on the doctor’s table.

7 thoughts on “Blehhh

1. krista says:

Keep at least something light in your stomach at all times. Don’t let your stomach reach empty. That may help keep the nausea at bay.

2. Kate @ Infertile First Mom says:

I agree with Krista- hunger is your enemy. I know it’s easier said than done when you have the aversion to most foods (I had that until almost 12 weeks, along with all day, mild-moderate nausea and occasional vomiting. Ugh) It sucks, no denying that. And it’s hard to feel grateful and happy when you are sick like that all the time.
    The only other things I could tolerate were bland crackers and peanut butter, most fruits (handy to just munch on to keep your tummy full) and, believe it or not, cheese pizza. 🙂 Yku could Try preggie pops- they probably won’t work much better than the candies, but I’ve heard differing results. Ginger tea or candy too. Oh! Also vitamin b-6… Talk to your doc first, but get some of that! It does help some. That’s all I can think of besides the script for anti-nausea meds.
    Hang in there and try to focus on exciting things like your first U/S!!!!! Yayyyyyyyy:)

3. Bear says:

I actually found that whole milk helped me keep the nausea. It helped keep the hunger pangs at bay too. (It also does wonder for my horrible heartburn).

4. ozifrog says:

You can cook, or eat, but don’t do both! Another suggestion is dry crackers on your bedside table. Eat them before you even lift your head off the pillow in the mornings.

5. Elle says:

Sounds exactly like the pregnancy nausea I’ve experienced both times. The worst weeks for me were 5-9. Then it got gradually better until about week 12-14 when it disappeared. Nothing totally helped me, unfortunately, and I think I tried it all, but here are some things that might help you get through:
    Acupuncture
    Planning to lie down/rest as much as possible late in the day. Don’t schedule evening plans if you can help it. Being horizontal seemed to help me some.
    White carbs- it’s the last thing I normally eat, but I nibbled crackers and bagels and toast a lot during that time. Grazing is better than eating lots at once.
    Protein, especially meat. It stays in your tummy awhile, and it sometimes helps to have a tummy that isn’t empty.
    Peppermint- I know you’ve tried this already, but it helped me a bit. Get candies with real peppermint oil.
    Eat something before you even sit up in the morning- keep crackers by your bed.
    The sea bands didn’t help me, and ginger just made me feel worse, but you could see- it helps some people.
    It totally sucks, I know, but it will be over soon, and it’s supposed to be a good sign for healthy pregnancy (had it with my 2 and now have a toddler and am 37 weeks pg). Hang in there, and try to take it easy.

6. JustHeather says:

My dad just told me that my mom would eat some saltines in bed before doing anything else when she was pregnant with me. Sorry I don’t have any other tips or tricks, but not getting too hungry worked for me.