Sick

This is going to sound like complaining, and I don’t want to give the wrong impression. But really, I guess I am complaining. There’s a big difference between complaining and wishing a pregnancy away. I’m not wishing anything away and I never would. Deep down I am truly thrilled to be pregnant but it’s very hard to concentrate on that now, with how I feel. I’m just simply saying:

I have never felt this sick in my life.

This is not occasional bouts of slight nausea that crackers can fix. This is round-the-clock, 24/7 extreme nausea that has knocked me off my feet and rendered me dysfunctional, and it hit all of a sudden last Wednesday night, at 5 and a half weeks.

And it is extremely frustrating. It’s a good thing it is the weekend and I’m on school vacation, because I never could go to work like this in a million years. Multiple times today I’ve just been rocking back and forth, nibbling on one Rice Krispie at a time. I can barely swallow them. I can’t sleep when I feel this bad. I’ve been 5 seconds from throwing up, but somehow I’ve held it off. I just know that throwing up once won’t do the trick. I’ll be on the bathroom floor all night. I can’t drive far, I can’t do any chores around the house. It’s like the worst stomach bug I’ve ever had (and I’ve had it plenty), but 24/7 for now the 4th day straight. And each day it’s worse, and I can’t imagine feeling any sicker and then I do.

I feel a little weird talking about this here, and I certainly don’t want to offend anyone. It is just the outlet I need when I want to talk about something, and right now, this is all I’ve got.

So, at 10:00 tonight, my husband called the nurse on call and she got me a prescription for Zofran. I am the last person to ask for drugs for anything, but I am absolutely desperate and will do anything to bring this nausea down a few levels. I have a feeling it will be getting worse. My amazing husband who has been at my beck and call all day and laid with me, pressing the “buttons” on my sea-bands (which don’t even touch this, by the way) is on his way to CVS now. I am very appreciative of his help but we both know this is going to get old real quick.

I know part of the problem at the moment is my empty stomach but I just can’t eat anything. Nothing wants to be in my mouth, including mints, crackers, and dry cereal. It’s bad. I do have other stomach problems and have all day, and I learned that my prenatal takes the nausea to a new level.

I don’t know anything about Zofran, except that it isn’t covered by insurance, but I am in need of a miracle. This just feels like the most unbearable thing, that I must say I’m too weak, both physically and mentally, to endure for 10 more weeks.

7 thoughts on “Sick

1. Psycholovista says:

I’m so sorry to hear you are feeling so nauseous. A friend of mine had a similar experience and her midwife recommended taking b6 and unisom at night and it help her significantly throughout the day. You’ll be able to find some info online about this as well. I hope you feel better soon!

2. Kate @ Infertile First Mom says:

Oh wow, this sounds bad. I’m so sorry and can only imagine how miserable you feel. No amount of positive thinking can help right now. I know food is the only thing that might help, but I also remember how strong those aversions can be! I’m praying the meds help, and at the very least you are able to feed yourself and that precious baby! So sorry though… Hang in there.

3. JustHeather says:

I’m so terribly sorry to hear about this horrible nausea!
    Please don’t worry about posting how you feel, this is your blog and no one (in their right mind) should question whether or not you want this pregnancy. As a friend told me a while back: It’s ok to post not so positive things sometimes. Life isn’t always 100% rosy and cheerful, it doesn’t make us any less grateful or deserving.
    I hope the medicine works or at least makes it bearable.

4. Stephanie says:

Hey there! Just wanted to say hang in there with the sickness. Mine started around 6 weeks and lasted up until 17 weeks-ish. Longer than most. My mom was sick for 9 months on me and 4 and 5 months with my brothers.

My situ was that I would throw up before work (or at work), feel crappy at work, be okay from midday to supper time and then feel ill again. As for coping mechanisms – I found one of the best foods was a warm breakfast sandwich – egg, cheese and sometimes bacon. Something about the protein and the warmth helped me. I also had a lot of soup. I also found that preggo pops and sour candies were of some assistance. I didn’t use the sea bands at all. Some ppl recommended keeping some dry cereal by your bed and having a few mouthfuls before getting out of bed but I didn’t find that to work so well. So, when I say ill – in my case I was super naseous and actually throwing up. So, I say go for the vomit!!!! It will make you feel better. I usually just threw up once and then went about my day. There were only three occasions where it was non-stop (like 2 pm – 11 pm – every 30 minutes). They were highly memorable. I remember thinking maybe I should go to the hospital but eventually I just passed out. When I was in the midst of all the sickness I didn’t know how I was going to get through – I suspect you’re feeling that way too. I ended up taking prescription medication but it’s my understanding it’s not available in the US. It’s a combo of Vitamin B6 and an antihistamine. I found it helpful. However, I still had bouts of sickness.

So, here is the silver lining. It does pass – and you will feel ‘normal’ again. That’s a promise. Amazingly you also start to forget about it. I thought I’d never get over it. There is nothing easy about all-day sickness. Stay positive and take one day at a time. You got this!!! Congrats again – so happy for you and hoping that you have a speedy trip through nausea land.

5. Sunny says:

Awww! I’m so sorry you’re feeling so poopie 😦 I’m sure that absolutely no advice I give will be of much help, but to echo some of the commenters, a mega dose of B6 is supposed to take the edge off a bit. Also, there are some great liquid prenatals on Vitacost.com that taste like fruit juice and are supposedly easier on your tummy. Hang in there, girl…

6. Krista says:

Sorry you’re not feeling well. Hope you were still able to somewhat enjoy the holidays! Wish I had some help for the nausea situation. Don’t apologize for writing how you feel. These are the things we have been excited to hear about. It is a pregnancy blog after all!

7. Belle says:

I’m catching up on my blog reading so sorry for my tardiness! My morning/all day sickness has been very mild. That said, I must echo the warm breakfast comment above – scrambled eggs with a little vegan cheese or some roasted red pepper hummus mixed in (weird, I know) and toast are my a.m. saving grace. I feel like absolute garbage until I have them. After a warm breakfast and my one small coffee I’m ok enough to get in the shower. Not great by any stretch but better. I hope you get some relief soon!