My super heavy belly

Okay friends, I think my blog reader has been acting funny so I’m missing many of your posts, and I’m not sure who is missing mine. That said, I’ve got a first-time preggo question for you, whether you’ve had one, two, or more babies at once.

I’ve actually mentioned it before, many weeks ago, but it kind of went away.

My stomach is FULL, TIGHT, and HEAVY. Emphasis on the heavy. All. Day. Long.

I’m not worried something is wrong, but I do want to be able to know if these are Braxton Hicks or a twin thing, or something else altogether.

I don’t know if I’ve ever had BH, but I always thought that when I had one, I’d know it. Isn’t BH when your whole stomach goes rock hard for a few minutes, you feel a weird pressure, and then it goes away?

This isn’t that. This starts at about 10 in the morning and lasts all day, only getting worse as the day goes on. When I stand up, my stomach feels so heavy I just feel this need to hold it from the bottom and get myself in a chair immediately. When I sit, my stomach feels like it’s a pile of bricks piling on top of each other, so that’s not comfortable either. When I recline, my back kind of hurts and I have a little shortness of breath. Therefore, there is no comfortable position. Laying on my left side at night on my Snoogle is about the only thing that feels okay. Forget bending over – I can’t even tie my shoes!

When I eat, it’s all the worse. I’m quickly realizing I physically can’t eat more than a few bites without feeling full.

Here’s the thing: I’m only 20 weeks! I’m probably showing somewhere between 24-26 weeks I’d guess. I know many, many people who, at 24-26 weeks, had a cute bump and went about their lives with little discomfort. I feel like I’m 500 weeks pregnant! Gosh, many pregnant women still go to the gym, and I can barely walk from the bedroom to the kitchen without holding my stomach and becoming winded!

Like I said, I don’t think this is BH. My stomach is tight and hard, but not rock hard. I can still push on my stomach and it gives a little. And the heaviness lasts all day. I’m big, but not that big.

Am I cooking up little hulk babies? Or is this a normal thing?

11 thoughts on “My super heavy belly

1. Not-So-Fertile Girl says:

I can’t “Amen” or “Ditto” this post enough. I feel every way you just described, and I’m 23.5 weeks with twins. A waiter actually made fun of me today b/c of how little I ate at lunch. It made me want to give him some blunt pregnancy education, but I refrained. 🙂 My belly feels heavy, tight, and full all the time too. I also can’t get comfortable, am having shortness of breath, it hurts when I stand up, and I’ve given up on bending to/near the floor unless completely unavoidable! The tightness of my stomach varies during the day from really firm to somewhat squishable depending on many things (time of day, when I’ve eaten, and the last time I accomplished a poo. :-P) I’ve been feeling this way for a few weeks now. Even though I’m 23 weeks, I’m measured 27 weeks at the doctor today, which she said was normal b/c of the twins. Hope that makes you feel more normal and less lonely!

2. Kate says:

Yep. Sounds about right. Maybe a little more pronounced, but with twins I’d imagine that’s how it is. Still, if you are concerned, always ask your dr or midwife. Instincts are powerful in a mom-to-be, so wouldn’t hurt to ask. Probably just one of the “joys” of pregnancy. Oh, and lots of women swear by those maternity belts for relieving the pressure. I never tried one, but I sorta wish I had. Good luck!

3. waitingonaangel says:

I have to agree-I definitely feel that way. I am 26 weeks with twins, and this past week I’ve REALLY starting noticing it. I think we’re just feeling it extra early with two babies in there!

4. robin says:

I usually felt that way after a growth spurt, and I would be noticeably heavier but would get used to it. Eventually I just felt that way all the time and literally had to hold up my belly while I walked. YAY.

5. Erin says:

I am 19 weeks pregnant with twins as well and this post helped me so much. I was just doing the dishes and my stomach stated getting stiff on me and not letting up. It seems the longer I stand, the longer my stomach feels this way. Its progressively gotten more intense the more my pregnancy cointinues. I was actually in the hospital the other day because I could have sworn I was having contractions but it turned out to be because I have a uti and the pressure from that, as well as the heaviness from these babies made them feel like contractions. I have a thick cervix with no bleeding so everything is fine but every time I stood up and felt my tummy get hard, I freaked out a little. I figured that if it was corrected when I sat down that it wasn’t a contraction because there is no stopping actual contractions once they have started.

6. YoYo says:

Hi guys,
    I’m 24 weeks with Twins and have had exactly these feelings for over a month now.. Worse when I eat definitely, I can’t eat very much anymore even though I’m still a bit hungry, just have to eat smaller meals more often, the top of my tummy is what is killing me lately, feels like my top abs are going to burst out sometimes! It seems now though, it’s worse every 2 weeks or so, I think it’s a growing cycle where my belly expands (this hurts the lower abdomen, crampy and sometimes similar to period pain ache) and then it hurts at the top, just under my boobs whew my top abs used to be!! This lasts for half a week then seems to subside, then the babies grow and catch up to the belly! This is what it feels like anyway! Super tight, heavy, and achy! I can’t fit enough air in my lungs to cough and sneezing is the worst! If i sneeze the top abs hurt!
    Only a couple months or so left now so at least I can see an end to the aches and pains! Can’t wait to meet them in person, and can’t wait to not feel this anymore!!
    Hope this helps some, it’s always nice to
    Know you’re not alone:)

7. Kesha says:

Hi ladies,
    I’m feeling the same EXACT things. I’m just 22 weeks with twins and look and feel like 8 months preggo with a singleton. My stomach feels so heavy and tight…. When I walk, I have to hold my belly, walk slow, and wide legged. Forget sitting straight up, not going to work at all…. Feels like belly is in a knot. Propping myself up on pillows is ok but that’s still uncomfortable too. I’m pre-diabetic and my appetite is really off as well as I can only eat a few spoons of something so I’m normally just snacking ALL day long, literally, which is not good for me or the babies. Mind you, I had a cerclage done at 14 weeks due to an incompetent cervix/ previous 2nd trimester loss and was prescribed bedrest. I don’t follow the orders exactly, but I don’t overdue myself as I have a husband and other children that I have to take care of. I was wondering if all of this heaviness and tightness was due to the constipation spells I’ve been experiencing the past few weeks (boy is that miserable)… Stool softeners just don’t help. I don’t know, I do quite some ways to go and definitely can’t wait until they’re out.