Quick update: I spoke too soon, in my last post. That’s always the way. My ovaries finally responded, and I’ve got 3 follicles waiting in the wings, at 18, 17, and 15 mm. I’m supposed to trigger tonight, and my IUI is Sunday. 🙂
There are two little issues that are keeping my optimism from spinning wildly out of control, however. The first one is that I’ve got, I think, another yeast infection. It’s been 3 weeks since my last one. I tried to get an appointment at the gyno two days ago, but they won’t give me meds until they see me and see if it’s yeast or bacterial or what. Problem is, they don’t have an opening until next week. Now that I know my IUI is Sunday, I’m not sure going into the IUI with an untreated possible yeast infection is such a good idea. So I asked my RE today, and they said as long as I wasn’t planning to use the cream to treat it, it wouldn’t hurt the IUI. That said, they gave me a prescription for Diflucan, which is already in my stomach. I have to say, I’d take spending $4 on one single pill over $20 on stupid messy Monistat any day. And I’m hoping the infection, whatever it is, clears up by Sunday morning.
The other minor logistical issue with this second IUI is that my husband isn’t home! Talk about bad timing. This weekend, he is competing in his first full Ironman triathlon. For those who aren’t sure what this is, it’s a 2.4 mile swim, an 112 mile bike ride, followed by a full marathon (26.2 miles of running). He’s had this on his calendar for over a year and has been training for a long time, not to mention the fact that signing up cost hundreds of dollars. What are the odds that the day of my first IUI from injectables falls on the day he is racing? So he won’t be around. Luckily, we managed to score an appointment yesterday for him to go in, you know, and have the sperm frozen. So I can have the IUI, which is good. However, the nurse gave him a paper, which he took home to me, explaining that the success rates from frozen sperm are half of what they are for fresh. Half – that’s really awful. So what was a 20% chance of success has now dropped to 10%. And what can I do? I am disappointed, but there isn’t any other way. It’s just…what has happened. And after Sunday’s IUI I’m getting in the car and driving 4.5 hours to see N finish the race. I want to be there. Hopefully sitting down for many hours helps things out. Now I’m just wishfully thinking.
I’m hoping the yeast infection and frozen sperm don’t ruin this. We’ve got three eggs, most likely, coming out, and it would be nice if one of them actually met up with a thawed sperm. I’m not getting any hopes up in the slightest. I’m already thinking ahead to next cycle – another IUI with injectables, or move to IVF?